Stain Removal Guide
Rubber Cement Stains
REMOVING RUBBER CEMENT STAINS FROM CARPET
Use a non-flammable solvent-based cleaner or liquid spot remover from the grocery store or hardware store. Use a solvent-type cleaner that is described by its manufacturer as being safe for nylon fabric or nylon carpet. Be sure to read and follow the label instructions regarding safe use, and never smoke or use an open flame in the vicinity of a solvent cleaner.
Mix 1/4 teaspoon mild liquid dish soap with one cup warm water.
HOW TO REMOVE RUBBER CEMENT STAINS FROM CARPET:
- Scoop up and blot as much of the spill as possible, then vacuum up any dry particles.
- Prepare suggested cleaning solutions above, beginning with the first one listed.
- Test the cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous section of carpet. We want to make sure the solution doesn’t cause any discolouration or damage!
- Apply the cleaning solution to the stain area. Note exception: Do not apply solvent-type cleaner directly to carpet. Apply first to cloth and use cloth to apply to carpet. Work from the outside of the stain toward the centre.
- Leave the cleaning solution on the spill for at least five minutes, so it can work its magic.
- Blot with a clean white cloth until the stain no longer transfers. Be careful not to rub the stained area, or you might damage the carpet fibres!
- Rinse the spot with cold water, making sure all excess cleaning solution is removed from the carpet.
- If the stain is still visible, repeat the process until it is removed, or no longer transfers to the cloth.
- If the stain remains, mix the next solution on the list and follow steps 3-8 above. If the stain remains after trying both solutions, contact a professional cleaner.
- Once the stain is removed, layer white paper towels on the site to soak up any extra moisture. Weigh down the towels with a non-staining glass or ceramic object (think like a paperweight), and let them sit overnight.
- When the carpet is dry, vacuum the area to restore the texture.
- Give yourself a big high five. You did it!